Thursday, February 1, 2007

Dr. Wright's Questions from 1/30/2007

Note: This picture of the Alhambra relates to the story about Spain below.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Reading Prompt #2
Readings: Egbert Ch. 2, Cummins Ch. 2, Richardson Ch. 3
What are "multiliteracies" as described by Cummins et al.? How does this relate to Egbert's assertions about the need for authentic materials to support ELL students' reading and writing? Discuss how blogs and blogging can be a tool for achieving these ideals with ELL students. Finally, describe your own experience creating your blog this week. Was it harder than you thought? What ideas do you have about the kind of stuff you want to blog about (besides what is required for this course)?


Cummins describes "multiliteracies" as the diversity of cultures, including languages, that children bring with them into the classroom. Not once does he mention "tabula rasa"--no Roman children. A bad joke! When the educator recognizes the child as an individual, it validates the person, which is in itself motivating. The culture of the individual can be used as a starting point for education in literacy; e.g., reading about that culture in English, translations, vocabulary, differences in pronunciation and sounds, etc., which provide enlightenment both ways and a positive means of looking at differences as being an aid rather than an encumbrance to education. In Mike's excellent discussion of Egbert's ideas, authenticity is determined by the learner. Thus for the ELL student, materials which are used by native EL speakers are relevant, but only authentic when the ELL can relate to them; in other words, when they contain something of interest (personally relevant). This implies interactivity in that the ELL student can take the opportunity to have feed back from native language speakers who would be familiar with these materials. This provides the opportunity for further English language interactions.
A personal experience is provided from my posting in the early 80's to Spain for Merck, the pharmaceutical company. Although I had studied Spanish in the University, and had read all the great classics, I had never really had the opportunity to speak Spanish. So suddenly I had a responsible marketing position, and the need to produce written and spoken language, and to understand the accent in Castillian! What I learned really fast were un jaleo , torreando con los coches, and selected swear words. Those first few rough months I got people to talk to me by showing my interest in native language Spanish materials--El Pais, the newspaper, quoting poetry that I had memorized, and even trying to get people to teach me songs. It worked! Although the Spanish found my babbling a bit disconcerting at times, some were impressed with my knowledge of Tirso de Molina, La Vida es Sueno, El Cantar de Mio Cid, las Harchas, etc. And I could see the light at the end of the tunnel when I started to gain a sense of humor in Castillian, and also to understand the Andalusian accent--"como eta ute?"
Blogs, and let me hasten to add Internet Telephony, are a great means of getting people talking and trying out what they know in a language. I am telling my friends about the blog, and getting them to respond in English or their native tongue. It is an interesting, friendly means for "trying out" language in a non-threatening atmosphere, and can be even addictive when postings to your blog become more frequent. The only complaint I have had so far is from my French friends who are looking for a French translation.

So far so good this week in developing the blog after the great introduction on Tuesday. There are not too many classes in which the students voluntarily stay late, and the Technology class is one! Thanks for giving us such great tools, Dr. Wright, and also to Lazardo with the wonderful Photostory 3 means of sharing pictures and music. I tried it once, and it didn't work, but will be back to try again. Google went down this morning when I was trying to post a picture, but I was able to add links to the sidebar and also in my text.

BTW, for you language and linguistics fans, here's a great link with postings of words and their etymology sent to your mailbox every morning:
www.yourdictionary.com

Let me know if you like it. Just one last note--I have sent feedback to everyone who posted before me--did you receive it?

6 comments:

Rita Radke said...

Hello Carol,

I really enjoyed your comments on prompt #2. I share your thoughts on this issue.
I think it all sounds great in theory, but I'm afraid it's going to be quite difficult to sell in practice. I'm referring to NCLB and specifically standardized testing. It's really amazing how limited teachers and teaching situations are due to standardized testing. This is what Cummins calls transmitting information.
As for blogging - I love it, though I must admit, it's kind of addictive...
Loved your Landshut link.

Rita

Yin said...

Hello, Carol
You explained very clearly the difference between relevant and authentic materials. You even showed us your own language learning experience as an example of practicing multiliteracies. Your Spanish learning was so multifaceted that it truly reflected on the meaning of multiliteracies Cummins tried to explain to his readers. I also like the idea of inviting friends to our class blog. This way, ESL 6973 is no longer a closed learning community, but an open entity which welcomes input from the world!

Dr. Wayne E. Wright said...

Hi Carol,

Great job on your first posting. Just to clarify, multiliteracies includes what you mentioned (cultural literacy, understanding diverse cultures, languages, etc.), but also includes things like technology literacy, math literacy, scientific literacy, etc.

Loved your story on your experience of learning Spanish. And I loved your earlier posting with the beautiful photo of landshut.

So glad you are enjoying this course!

-Dr. Wright

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, yes I did receive your comment. Thanks for that, and thanks for sharing the link. I need to add resources to my blog. I'm happy to hear that you have the opportunity to speak Spanish and taking advantage of it. I teach Spanish at the high school level, and I'm amazed at the fact that kids don't want to use the language. I have to "make them" greet me in Spanish for example. I like your idea about how blogs can help the ELL students's literacy by providing possible feedback in their native tongue from other ELL students. These ELL students need as much support in their native tongue as nthey can get not only to facilitate the learning of English but to establish reassurance and moral support. -Rosario

Hu said...

Hello,Carol,
我已经看了您的博客,但它对我来说有点难。我需要花费比较长的时间来理解您所讲的内容。
我非常愿意分享您的睿智,所以我会经常来看您的博客。
顺便祝您身体健康!
Hu(from China)

Joleen J said...

That's a beautiful picture of the Alhambra, Carol. What an interesting place! Yes, talking to people and just asking lots of questions helps add to our every day functionality in the language. Of course, we learn to take care of our basic needs first, such as food and transportation, and there is a good deal of relying on the kindness of strangers (to borrow from Tennessee Williams) to figure out directions, change, new words, etc.

I'm glad the songs helped you learn, too. They are good for learning and remembering certain aspects of the language, a nice jump start into the target language.